Thursday, March 30, 2017

Mountains Beyond Mountains


I just discovered the song “Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)” by Arcade Fire off their 2010 album The Suburbs. I’m addicted to that song.




Here come some first world realizations. While I moaned and groaned my way through high school about the unfairness of life, I realize that I did have more misfortune heaped upon me than some in my peer group, but overall, I had it pretty good. I was fortunate enough to meet a person who saw through all of my tough guy, I-don’t-want-to-love-anything-ever-again façade. Deep down, I know now, that is exactly what I needed. There have been many ups and downs since then, of course, but overall things have been up. And the more and more I get to know my son and watch him grow, I realize I couldn’t ask for much more.

The lyrics to “Sprawl II” brought memories of my high school days flooding back to me. (I imagine that was something the members of Arcade Fire were going for. It's very reminiscent of "Subdivisions" by Rush off their 1982 album Signals. Disclaimer: I haven’t listened to any of Arcade Fire's other songs as of writing this.)



While I can look back today on those days of relative care-freeness, I know that the freedom I had then is likely gone for good. And I lament that from time to time to be sure. However, I know that what I am now working for is for my son (soon to be sons) to have the same, if not more, opportunities to forge meaningful relationships and become a successful, productive, moral part of society.

It’s taken me 31 years (and an abhorrent “man” as President) to truly see the need for all of us in society to be more caring and understanding of our fellow human beings on this planet. A dear friend once explained to me how much a person’s perspective changes when you have children. Suddenly the meaning of your actions become amplified, you become more empathetic (always a deficiency of mine), your life is no longer yours alone. I wouldn’t say I scoffed at the time, but I was certainly my usual cynical self. Suffice it to say, he was spot on.

So while I was naive, sheltered, and self-absorbed as a younger man, I hope to be able to provide a life where my son(s) can look back on his childhood and have positive memories while also being conscious of the struggles that many less fortunate people around the world deal with on a daily basis. That is what “Sprawl II” means to me. It’s the lamentations of a young person who wants to be and do more than what their small community will allow them to be and do. It’s a privileged view of the world, but a view with merit. It’s imperative that parents not shelter their children to the vagaries experienced by those less fortunate. It will take work on my part to ensure my children are empathetic and give back to society and provide for those less fortunate. This is far from my natural state of mind; I tend toward introversion, isolation, and selfishness. I am not a man of action; I tend to overthink and, hence, feel paralyzed. My children are my opportunity to grow while helping them grow.

The situation in Flint is one that is close to home. The situation in Syria is one that is half a world away. (Both are tragic. Of course, they are not a one to one comparison. Nevertheless.) Either way, normal people with normal means have an opportunity to provide some sort of assistance to these people. I’m ashamed of the response of our elected government officials. Unfortunately, there is a large portion of the population that is happy to turn away from people in need. In fact, there are far too many that actively cheer this poor showing. It’s sickening.

Anyway, “Sprawl II” is an awesome song. It’s wistful in that 80s way, it’s nostalgic, it’s just great. And it’s forced me to think and reflect like no song has in a long time. Thanks, Arcade Fire.

- Kevin

1 comment: